Thursday, August 25, 2011

It's almost time...

... to start solids, that is! Sometime in the next 2-4 weeks we'll be starting to eat "real" food. And I can't wait! Elizabeth is definitely showing an interest in food. Last week we were eating spaghetti for dinner, and Miss E wouldn't take her eyes off of me eating. Alan did all he could do to distract her and the most he could get was maybe a second or two every couple minutes. And last night, we had pizza for dinner. Let me tell you, Elizabeth was reaching for my food as I was putting it in my mouth. I'd say she's ready! I don't want to start a debate or anything, but we've been holding off until closer to 6 months because that's what the AAP recommends. I know many parents start much earlier, but since Elizabeth has been perfectly content on strictly milk, I haven't seen a reason to introduce solids earlier.

Next week I'm going to get some bowls and spoons so that I can be ready for whenever we decide to start. I'll be making all of my own baby food, which I am so excited about! I've been looking up recipes and how-to's and can't wait to start. I'm thinking about getting this:


 any opinions good or bad? Or any other babyfood maker that you've found useful? I know I could just steam the veggies/fruits and use my blender, but this just seems so much easier, not to mention a lot simpler to clean up (one thing vs several pots and the blender).

I already have one spoon from watching my nephew so to get Elizabeth used to a spoon, I let her play with it for a while today. She knew exactly what to do - this may be due to the fact that any- and everything is going into her mouth these days.

Sitting at the table
What is this?
What do I do with it?
Hmmm...
Maybe I should put it in my mouth.
Yup, that's what I need to do!
So cute!
I like my spoon!

2 comments:

  1. I wanted one also but decided no because of how much they cost. I did the steam, food processer and it was a mess, but I made large batches of each food and froze in ice cube treys. Turned out really great and just had to pull out of the freezer everyday instead of make new. Whatever you decide will be good for Elizabeth.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't start Hannah on solids at all till she was 6 months either. She also was exclusively breastfed and happy with that. I had someone loan me that same baby food maker when Hannah was little. I tried it a few times and honestly found it to be almost just as difficult to use as just steaming/baking the food and then processing it. We just did big batches and froze them in cubes. It worked out really well and was super easy. We did broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, greenbeans, carrots, peas (didn't work so well), bananas, etc.. The things that needed liquid added to them like the carrots, I just added in breastmilk but you can use water too. Cute pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete