Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lets talk sleep





See this cutie? He's out cold there, but what you don't know is that he was up only 15 minutes later... After being up for 3 hours before that. Before you say that's a long time for a 4 month old, don't... It's not from lack of trying to get him to sleep. He'll fall asleep in my (or Alan's) arms and then wake up as soon as we stand up. And forget about putting him in his crib...

This doesn't just happen at nap-times... As I'm sure you can guess, nighttime sure has been fun lately. It's been over a week since I've had more than 90 minutes of uninterrupted sleep. I've tried just about everything I know. Feed him more often, pat and shush him, rock him. Nothing is working. I'm about at my wits end. Elizabeth was (and is) such a good sleeper that I'm at a loss on what to do. I am now a believer in the 4 month sleep regression! If this is true, we can expect another 1-5 weeks before it improves. I'm not sure I can handle 5 more weeks of this...

Good thing he's cute! :) I've just got to remember that "this too shall pass." And hopefully I'll conveniently forget this stage in the near future.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Love the new blog look and I am enjoying the updates! I hope the sleeping gets better, it sounds really rough. :( Madelyn has been a good sleeper, so I am afraid the 2nd kid will be a bad one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry is a terrible sleeper, always has been and still is, but I clearly remember that 4 month sleep regression. Jonathan was still working nights, and honestly the only way I could get any sleep at all was to put Henry in bed with me. I never, ever thought I would do the whole co-sleeping thing, it totally freaked me out! But that was the ONLY thing that worked during that time, and I tried everything! I remember Jonathan coming home one morning and I'd only had 30 minutes of sleep all night long, the next night was when I put Henry in bed with me the first time. I always started him in his crib, but when he would wake up in the middle of the night and wouldn't go back to sleep, I'd just lay him down beside me, clear of all covers and pillows, and he slept like a rock. I slept really lightly with him beside me, but it was better than getting no sleep at all and having him cry and be awake all night. After a few weeks he got better and would stay in his crib all night, so it didn't forever change his sleeping habits and make him dependent on sleeping with us, it just got us through a tough time.

    ReplyDelete